Friday, December 30, 2011

Zucchini Fries {Dairy-free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free}


It might be a little early in the morning to talk about Zucchini, but I made these last night and thought they were delicious. {I'll be honest and tell you that my kids and hubby were not thrilled with these, but they aren't fans of zucchini, no matter how it's cooked.} I thought they were great! I'm not crazy about mushy zucchini, but I liked this crunchy version. You should at least give it a try. It's something different. I got this recipe from The Kid-Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger. They have a few recipes that I like, but I couldn't find that many in there that were appealing or healthy.


Zucchini Fries {They call them Zucchini Sticks}

1 egg {OR 1 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer with 1 tsp oil. Add to batter}

1 cup milk or water {I used Almond Milk, original}

1/2 cup rice flour {I used all-purpose}

1/2 cup corn starch

1 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

2 cups zucchini, onions, sweet potato, or any favorite veggie

1. Slice veggies into long, slender pieces.

2. In large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 325 degrees. {You could use fryer or even bake these for a more healthy option.}

3. In medium bowl, whisk the ingredients together. Dip veggies into batter. With a slotted spoon {or tongs}, lower veggies into oil. Don't crowd them. Remove when golden. Set on a paper towel to drain. Serve! Don't let them sit too long or they will become soggy. Nothing is worse than soggy zucchini.



Zucchini offers valuable antioxidants and is rich in potassium. Good for you and yummy, too!

If you make these, let me know! I'd love to know your thoughts on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment