Friday, December 30, 2011

Whoopie Pies {Dairy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free}


Goodbye, Cupcake. Helllloooooo, Whoopie Pies! I recently read in some magazine that whoopie pies are the new cupcake. Well, I just had to try my hand at them and make an allergy-free version {as in dairy-free, egg-free, peanut-free} and let me tell you - these are scrumdiddlyumptious. There's no other word for them. Of course, you wouldn't believe how easy these are, either! I was pleasantly surprised and you will be, too! Because the bottom line is - if it ain't easy, I ain't makin' it. {Yes, I know that isn't proper English, but it conveys the attitude behind the statement.} So, go now. Make these.

Whoopie Pies! {Dairy-, Egg-, Peanut-Free}

2 c. sugar
3/4 c. shortening
1/2 cup unsweetened appelsauce
2 c. almond milk
2 tsp. vanilla
10 tbsp. cocoa
1 tbsp. cornstarch
4 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. soda
Pinch of salt
Cream shortening and sugar. Combine applesauce, almond milk and vanilla and beat into creamed mixture. Slowly stir sifted dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, and beat on medium speed about 2 minutes. Drop with tablespoon onto greased and floured cookie sheet (enough dough to make a baked cookie about 2 to 2 1/2 inches). Bake at 350 degrees until cookie just springs back when pressed in center with finger {about 10-12 min). Remove to rack and cool completely before filling.
Go here for my dairy-, egg-free Buttercream Frosting to use for filling these lovelies. Spoon a nice heap of frosting on the bottom side of one cookie. Then, top with the other cookie. Then, savor every.single.delicious.bite. {Makes about 2 dozen}
These are perfect for birthdays {like I'm doing for my soon-to-be 3 year old on Friday!}, parties, school treats, snacks, desserts, etc. Try them out and let me know how you like them! The whole family will like these!!

No comments:

Post a Comment