Friday, December 30, 2011

Reading Labels

If you are new to the allergy scene, you know how overwhelming it can be to read EVERY label on EVERY item before you put it in your grocery cart. The good news: it gets much easier over time. The bad news: sometimes routine causes us to assume or overlook familiar items. For instance, just this past week as I was shopping for my backup supply of Halloween candy for my girl who can't have most of what is handed out on Halloween, I noticed that one of her favorite candies now has an egg allergy warning on it. I was so surprised! I am not sure if this is a temporary thing due to mass production of candy at this time of year or if this is now a permanent thing, but this just reiterates the fact that we MUST read every label - even on familiar items. Production rules change, ingredients change, some manufacturers do things differently than others, etc. Let this serve as a reminder to you not to let your guard down.

Speaking of reading labels, my new favorite store, Trader Joe's is awesome! I'm just a little sad, though, that most of their products (canned, boxed) have been processed on shared equipment with allergens. So, finding things there for my girl is proving to be quite difficult. They have an egg-free mayonnaise, but it has been processed on equipment with products containing eggs. Bummer! {Thanks to my sis-in-law, I know Whole Foods has a yummy Vegannaise that I can get for her.} Also, I was looking for crackers for something I wanted to make for my girl and there was not one box of crackers at Trader Joe's that she could eat because of processing issues. Bummer! So, be sure to read the fine print that can usually be found somewhere underneath the ingredient list.

Keep those eyes peeled!

No comments:

Post a Comment