Friday, December 30, 2011

PB&J Truffles {Peanut-free}


Peanut butter & jelly sandwich? That's SO yesterday! I've been researching some new ideas for lunches for my kids, especially since my allergy girl has SAT testing this week. I need her to be on her A-game and let's face it, what's normaly in her lunch box isn't always loaded with Omega-3s and other brain boosters, although I do try to give her semi-healthy stuff. Anyway, I came across these on a site I visit often and since my girls are kind of sick of the usual PB&J sandwich, I thought I'd try these as a variation and a more healthy option. I tweaked it a little bit to fit our standard of allergy-free and here it is:
All-Fruit Jam or Jelly (or you could do sugar-free)
Peanut-free 'peanut butter' - (I use Soy Butter, but Sun Butter, Almond Butter, etc will work great, too!)
Rolled Oats
1TBL pure cocoa powder

In a food processer, mix equal parts Jam/Jelly and Soy Butter, along with 1TBL cocoa powder and pulse until combined. Add rolled oats a little at a time until mixture becomes easy to roll into balls. I used 1 cup of rolled oats per 1/4 c jam and 1/4 c soy butter and that seemed to work perfect. Then, roll mixture into 1-inch balls. You can roll them in crushed pecans, powdered sugar, coconut, etc. to make them look pretty or for an added flavor in there. And if you want to make it even healthier add 1 TBL of ground flax seed to the mixture OR roll the PBJ balls in ground flax seed. Be creative! I put mine in the refrigerator on a plate to firm up and once firm, I will transfer to a rubbermaid bowl with lid to keep them fresh.

This is a quick and easy way to get out of the PB&J sandwich rut! Try it! You'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment