Friday, December 30, 2011

Hidden Allergens

I posted awhile ago about the scented handsoap 'Milk & Honey' and told you how I had noticed it while shopping one day. Just out of curiosity, I checked the ingredients and sure enough there really is milk protein in the soap ingredients. Soon after that realization, I was in a church restroom helping my daughter wash her hands when I noticed this same soap. I was so glad I had come across that previously so that I was able to protect her from a potentially dangerous situation. Her milk allergy is so severe that if it even touches her skin, she has a reaction. So far, we've been able to avoid this handsoap. (Yet another reason to carry hand sanitizer everywhere I go!) Then, last week, I was at the pediatrician's office with my 3yr old (the allergic one) and my 1 yr old when I noticed this same handsoap in that bathroom! I plan to mention this to her doctor next time I am there. This just serves as a reminder that you MUST be constantly aware of your child's environment because in some cases just washing hands can be harmful...at least for my daughter. You can't afford to take any chances on your child's life.

I read this article tonight that just breaks my heart. It is also a reminder to us that allergic reactions can become more severe over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment