Friday, December 30, 2011

Chocolate Pudding {Dairy-free, Nut-free, Egg-free}

Today was the last day of VBS {Vacation Bible School} and evidently they saved the best snack for last! Today's yummy sweet treat was Dirt Pudding with Gummy Worms. So, I made plans for Daughter's yummy alternative. I've tried using Jell-O pudding mix (which doesn't include milk ingredients, but you have to add milk to it for it to turn out right) and I have used almond milk instead of cow's milk. However, it doesn't set up right. It's runny and globby. Not smooth and silky like real pudding. And because I love Daughter more than McDonald's $1 Sweet Tea, I wanted her to have the best chocolate pudding she ever laid her lips on. So, I googled dairy-free pudding and found this. All I can say is WOW! It is de-LISH! The ingredients? Well, here they are:

Mix 3T Cornstarch & 2T Cold Water together in a small bowl until dissolved and set aside. Then, in saucepan, mix 1/3 c sugar, 1/4 c cocoa powder, pinch of salt on Medium-Low heat while slowly adding 2 cups of Almond Milk (1/4 c at a time) to this mixture. Constantly mix until smooth. Heat until mixture forms a thin layer on top and steam rises just from the top. (Do NOT boil.) Remove from heat and add 1/3 cup of dairy-free chocolate chips {Whole Foods has their own brand for $2.99}. Let sit for 3 minutes. Then, with wooden spoon, mix the melted chips with the liquid mixture. Put back on Medium-Low heat and slowly add cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until mixture thickens almost to the thickness you prefer. Remove from heat and pour into individual dishes. Let sit 20 minutes and then cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 2 hours. This is the point that I put my crushed Oreos on the top. I will have to add a pic of that scrumptious pudding later. It's late and I'm tired. Sorry!

Daughter L-O-V-E-D this! Big hit! Definitely going to make this again....soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment