Friday, December 30, 2011

Allergy-Free Substitutions


If you're like me, you know that finding a good substitute for certain ingredients while baking or cooking allergy-free is no easy task....in the beginning. I searched everywhere looking for appropriate substitutes that would actually achieve the results I was looking for. So, I thought I would list susbtitutes that I like to use.

 

For eggs:

1/4 cup applesauce = 1 egg

1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar = 1 egg

1/2 banana, mashed = 1 egg

1 1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 2 T almond milk or water = 1 egg

1 T cornstarch = 1 egg (this is the one I use most!)

1 T ground flaxseed mixed with 3 T warm water = 1 egg (I use flaxseed in my waffles/pancakes by itself in place of eggs and it tastes great!)

4 1/2-5 oz jar prune puree (baby food prunes) = 1 egg (I have never used this, but it supposedly works like the applesauce does.)

1/4 cup soy yogurt (or coconut milk yogurt) = 1 egg

In place of cow's milk:

1 cup almond milk {or rice or soy milk} = 1 cup cow's milk

1 cup almond milk {or soy or rice milk} + 1 T lemon juice = 1 cup buttermilk {let sit for 10 minutes to sour before using}

yogurt can be replaced with soy or coconut milk yogurt

sour cream, cream cheese can be bought in the Tofutti brand {sold at Whole Foods and other stores}

ice cream = Tofutti brand, SoDelicious, Coconut milk types {several options are available now even in regular grocery stores}

1/3 cup canola oil = 1/2 cup butter {read labels on the oil bottles - a lot have been processed around peanuts}

1 cup dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening = 1 cup unsalted butter

I also use Smart Balance LIGHT buttery spread {this is dairy-free}

I'm sure there are other substitutes out there, but these are the ones I use most often. Hope this helps you! And if you have any substitutes you use, feel free to leave a comment and let us all know!

No comments:

Post a Comment