Friday, December 30, 2011

Strawberry Cornmeal Scones {Dairy-free, Egg-free}


Ever since watching the Royal Wedding, I've had scones on my brain. So, I set out on a quest to find a great scone recipe and I think this version hits the spot! I've had scones only one time in my life when I visited London and that was too long ago. I found some great-looking recipes, and then I adapted some to fit what I wanted. Here you go!

Strawberry Cornmeal Scones {dairy-, egg-free}

Nonstick Cooking Spray

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

2/3 cup yellow cornmeal

2 T granulated sugar

2 T packed brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 T cornstarch

1/3 cup cold Smart Balance Light butter, cut up

1/2 cup Almond milk + 1 T lemon juice {this is a substitute for buttermilk}

1/4 cup All-Fruit Strawberry Jam

Preheat oven 450. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.

Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cornstarch. Cut in butter until flour mix resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center. Pour in almond milk/lemon juice mixture. Stir with fork just until moist.

Add strawberry jam to mix. Stir gently, 3-5 turns until incorporated. Use large spoon and drop dough into 12 mounds, 1 inch apart. Bake 12-15 minutes or until tops are golden.

Drizzle a powdered sugar/lemon juice icing over the top. {1 cup powdered sugar with 2-3 tsp lemon juice} Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment