Friday, December 30, 2011

Pumpkin Donuts {Dairy-free, Egg-free}


My girl's K5 class is having doughnuts as a special treat tomorrow so I have been looking for a good donut recipe that I could adapt to an allergy-free donut. Well, I found it! I am happy to report that these could very well be my favorite donut. They are, in fact, the first donuts I've ever made and they are DE-LISH! These are a must-try! I will not tell you how many I've already eaten. These could be my demise. And my husband's. Yes, they are THAT good. Mr. Picky Pants himself has given them two thumbs up.

So, here's the recipe. I adapted this from a Martha Stewart Recipe in the October 2001 issue of her magazine. {I knew hoarding old issues of Martha's would come in handy somewhere down the line!}

2 3/4 c self-rising flour

1 tsp cinnamon (or more)

1 c fine cornmeal

3 large eggs {Substitute egg replacer here, I used 2T cornstarch for each egg}

1/2 granulated sugar

1/2 c sweetened condensed milk {Substitute 1/2 c Almond Milk + 3/4 sugar, heat til dissolved}

1 c pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin {not canned pumpkin pie filling}

4 T unsalted butter, melted {Substitute 4T Smart Balance Light - dairy free)

8 cups vegetable oil, for frying

confectioners' sugar

1.Sift flower, cinnamon together. Add cornmeal; mix until combined

2. Mix egg substitute and 1/4 c sugar together about 3 minutes. Add Condensed Milk Substitute, and beat well. Add pumpkin and butter, beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture, and mix until dough holds together. {I had to add a little more flour to mine, but just eyeball. You want the dough to stick together pretty good.} Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3. Heat vegetable oil in fryer or a large deep pan over medium heat until deep-frying thermometer reads 365 degrees.

4. While oil is heating, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/3 inch thick. Using a 3-inch cutter, cut out doughnuts, and set aside. {Use a smaller 1 inch cutter for cutting out doughnut holes.} Mix together cinnamon and powdered sugar in a small bowl, and set aside.

5. Add doughnuts to hot oil; fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn donuts over; fry until golden brown. Transfer donuts to several layers of paper towels to drain. Repeat until all donuts have been fried.

6. Roll half the warm donuts, one at a time, in cinnamon/sugar to coat. Transfer to a serving platter. Dust remaining donuts with powdered sugar. Serve warm.

What are you waiting for? Go put on your favorite pair of stretchy pants and then enjoy these delicious donuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment