Friday, December 30, 2011

Monkey Bread {dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free}

So, Daughter has Vacation Bible School this week and that means there are snacks involved! Not just any snacks, but YUMMY snacks. The kids love it and the food always goes with the theme. This year's theme is a jungle theme. Hence, the Monkey Bread. Because I love her more than I could ever express, I want her first experience of VBS to be a good one and I want her to be able to be like all the other kids and eat what they eat....well, at least very similar to what they eat. The sweet lady involved in planning much of VBS, was very kind to send me the list of snacks for the week so that I could plan Daughter's allergy-free snacks. So, here's my version of Monkey Bread....dairy-free, egg-free and peanut-free. I am pretty sure the only allergen it does have is wheat.
MONKEY BREAD
1 tube of Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough (*contains wheat)
cinnamon
brown sugar
Smart Balance Light - buttery spread (*dairy-free, vegan)
Open tube of pizza dough, slice into 1/2 inch thick slices (dough still rolled just like it came out of the can). Take each slice, lay it flat on cutting board and cut into quarters. Grease muffin pan, place 3 cut pieces of dough into each cup. Mix buttery spread, cinnamon, brown sugar and then place a nice dollop of the mixture on top of each dough mound. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned.

Serve warm or let cool and freeze them individually for a ready-made breakfast treat or dessert when you need something quick!

*Do NOT use paper cupcake liners. This doesn't work so well. Believe me, I tried it. If you do use them, take paper liners off immediately after bringing them out of oven so they do not have to be chiseled off this yummy treat!

Stay tuned for more snack ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment